Our Top Choice
- Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Golden Retrievers 15 months and older
- Exclusive kibble shape designed specifically for a Golden Retriever's straight muzzle and scissor bite to encourage chewing
- Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and help promote a shiny coat
- Promotes heart health with taurine, EPA, and DHA for healthy cardiac function
- Maintains ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content designed for Golden Retrievers.This diet contains 3489 kilocalories of metabolizable energy (ME) per kilogram or 276 kilocalories ME per cup on an as fed basis (calculated)
Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers
The Golden Retriever is a large dog known for its friendly temperament and beautiful golden colored coat. These dogs were originally bred as gun dogs, trained to retriever waterfowl like ducks and upland game. This breed has a natural love for water and, because it is a very intelligent breed, it responds very well to training.
In addition to being excellent retrievers, the Golden Retriever also makes a great family pet because it is highly loyal, friendly, and great with children. These dogs form very strong bonds with family and they can become a little protective sometimes so you know that your children will be safe if left with your dog.
Golden Retrievers generally stand between 21 and 24 inches tall at maturity and weigh between 60 and 80 pounds. These dogs have long, golden coats that are soft to the touch and sometimes wavy or slightly curly. This breed is consistently ranked among the top three dog breeds in the United States according to AKC registration statistics, and they definitely deserve the title.
Golden’s are gentle and docile by nature, eager to please their owners and to make friends with new people. Golden Retrievers are also a very healthy breed in general, though a high-quality diet is required to ensure the long-term health and wellness of this breed. If you are serious about keeping your Golden Retriever around for as long as possible, make sure you feed him a high-quality diet.
If you are looking for a high-quality commercial dog food for Golden Retriever’s, consider one of the Best Dog Foods for Golden Retrievers reviewed below.
#2 Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey & Potato Recipe
- STARTS WITH REAL TURKEY: A recipe that starts with real turkey as the first ingredient, this large breed dog food features a single animal protein source along with potatoes, peas and pumpkin to support gentle digestion, making it a good option for dogs with a sensitive stomach.
- LIMITED INGREDIENT LARGE BREED DOG FOOD: BLUE Basics is a limited ingredient dog food that doesn't contain any chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy or eggs making it a good option for dogs with food sensitivities. Plus, it's specifically formulated with glucosamine and chondroitin to support joint health in large breed dogs.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your large breed dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains (1) 24lb bag of BLUE Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Natural Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Turkey & Potato
The Blue Buffalo Company is known for producing high-quality foods and treats for both pets in all life stages. This company offers four different product lines of dry food products – the Life Protection line of natural diets, the Freedom line of grain-free diets, the Basics line of limited ingredient diets, and the Wilderness line of high-protein diets.
Because the Golden Retriever is a breed that is more prone to food allergies than others, feeding your dog a limited ingredient diet like this Blue Buffalo Basics Adult Turkey & Potato Recipe is a good idea. Limited Ingredient Diets (LIDs) are made with novel protein sources as well as a limited number of ingredients so they are less likely to aggravate your dog’s food allergies.
Blue Buffalo offers two different LIDs for large-breed dogs – the turkey & potato recipe as well as a grain-free lamb & potato recipe. The Blue Buffalo Basics Adult Turkey & Potato Recipe is made with deboned turkey, oatmeal and brown rice as the top three ingredients followed by peas, turkey meal and potatoes. Other notable ingredients include fish oil, flaxseed, and pumpkin.
This formula is supplemented with chelated minerals for maximum nutrient absorption as well as probiotics for healthy digestion. It also contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support your large-breed dog’s bones and joints as he ages. Another bonus is that this formula is supplemented with both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy.
If your Golden Retriever suffers from food allergies, the Blue Buffalo Basics Adult Turkey & Potato Recipe is a great choice.
#3 Natural Balance Lamb & Rice Formula
- Contains 1 - 28 Pound Bag Of Dry Dog Food
- Helps Minimize The Number Of Ingredients Dogs Are Exposed To
- Encourages Large Breed Dogs To Chew Properly, Eat Slower
- Supports Clean Teeth & Healthy Gums For Large Breed Dogs
- No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Or Preservatives
The Natural Balance pet food company was founded by Dick Van Patten in 1989 with the goal of becoming the best pet food producer in the world. This company develops their products using sound scientific principles and nutritional truths, thus ensuring both quality and nutrition. All of Natural Balance’s products are loaded with fresh, natural ingredients in combinations that are specifically designed to meet your dog’s nutritional needs.
The Natural Balance LID Large-Breed Lamb & Rice Formula is made with lamb meal, brown rice and ground white rice as the top three ingredients. Other notable ingredients include lamb, canola oil, and a variety of healthy supplements. This product contains chelated minerals which have been chemically bound to protein molecules to increase absorption.
This recipe also contains vitamin supplements and a balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Most notable, however, is the high protein content of this product – this will maintain your dog’s lean muscle mass at any age.
For a top-rated dry dog food diet specially formulated for larger dogs such as the Golden Retriever, look no further than this Natural Balance LID Lamb & Rice Formula.
#4 Fromm Gold Holistic Dog Food
The Fromm Family pet food company was started more than a decade ago and it is and always has been a family-owned business. This company is dedicated to a tradition of health and nutrition for dogs and cats, and it is the company that pioneered the process through which modern kibbles are made.
Fromm offers three different product lines of dog foods – the Four-Star line, the Gold line and the Classics line. The Fromm Gold Holistic Large Breed Adult Formula is an example of one of several Fromm products which are specially designed for large-breed dogs like the Golden Retriever. These formulas are intended for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds at maturity and they are designed with a special blend of nutrients to support lean muscle mass and whole-body health.
The Fromm Gold Holistic Large Breed Adult Formula is made with duck, chicken meal, and fresh chicken as the top three ingredients followed by oatmeal, pearled barley and brown rice. Other notable ingredients include dried egg, menhaden fish meal, lamb, chicken fat, and potatoes.
This particular recipe also contains several vitamins and mineral supplements, plus added probiotics to ensure a healthy digestive tract. Not only is this formula sure to meet your dog’s nutritional requirements but, because it is made with so many natural ingredients, it has an irresistible flavor any Golden Retriever is sure to love.
For an all-natural dog food that your Retriever is sure to love, try Fromm Gold Holistic Dog Foods.
#5 NutriSource Grain-Free Chicken Recipe
- Grain Free Recipe Reduces The Risk Of Food Allergies
- Chicken Is The Number One Ingredient!
- Formulated With All Natural Ingredients
- Contains All The Essential Nutrients For The Optimum Health Of Your Pet
- Contains No Animal By-Products Or Whole Corn
The NutriSource dog food company was founded in 1947 and, though it began as an economy dog food company, it has advanced to enter the Super Premium Canine Food Industry.
NutriSource follows a philosophy of high-quality nutrition, acknowledging the fact that a healthy lifestyle leads to a long life. That is where NutriSource dog foods come into play – they are made with top-quality ingredients in specially formulated recipes to ensure that your dog’s nutritional needs are being met.
NutriSource offers a variety of different products including several that are specially designed for large-breed dogs like the Golden Retriever. This company offers both standard and grain-free formulas and each recipe is made with fresh meat as the number one ingredient.
This recipe is made with fresh chicken, chicken meal, and peas as the top three ingredients followed by potatoes and chicken fat. Other notable ingredients include sunflower oil, salmon meal, and natural flavors. The formula is supplemented with dried fermentation products (a type of probiotic) to help support healthy digestion – it also contains a variety of chelated minerals to improve nutrient absorption.
Because this formula is made with fresh chicken as the top ingredient, in addition to other natural flavors, this dog food is highly palatable. This recipe is made with a larger kibble size for large-breed dogs and it is made with only the finest ingredients to ensure maximum nutritional value.
For an affordable but still high-quality diet for your Golden Retriever, consider the NutriSource Grain-Free Chicken Recipe.
Golden Retrievers always have been and always will be one of the top most popular breeds because they are so friendly and easy to get along with. These dogs respond very well to training which makes them an excellent choice for dog sports as well as companionship.
Like all dogs, the Golden Retriever requires a healthy diet that offers a balance of protein, fats, carbohydrates as well as various vitamins and minerals. If you want to make sure your dog stays in good health, choose one of the Best Dog Foods for Golden Retrievers reviewed above.